I love writing posts about writing. Especially my own writing because although I get anxious about sharing my writing with others, it helps me a lot to get input from others about whether my ideas are actually good.
plus sometimes the only motivation i get to actually write is by sharing my writing if that makes any sense
So here I am sharing my writing goals for 2018! I fell in love with my two WIPs that I started last year due to Camp NaNoWriMo and NaNoWriMo in November. I wrote more last year than any other year in my life. I hope to top that this year.
- Finish my first draft. Although I have two WIPs at the moment, I would like to focus more on trying to finish the first draft of We’re All Beautiful since I’m further along with writing that opposed to These Memories Shall Burn. I’ve never finished a first draft before so *fingers crossed*
- Start a new WIP. I know that I do want to start writing something new this year, I just haven’t gotten any ideas yet. But I like having something else ready for me to write for whenever I don’t feel like writing in my other books.
- Write something outside of my comfort zone. Mostly, I would like to try and tackle something fantasy. I love fantasy but it terrifies me. I get so overwhelmed just thinking about everything I’d have to do to prepare for writing a fantasy novel.
- STOP EDITING WHILE I WRITE. I am the worst at this. I back-space and scroll to a random place in my novel to check something I forgot and then I start reading and before I know it I’ve edited five pages *hangs face in shame*
- Stop telling myself I suck. This probably won’t happen. My writing will suck no matter what I do, I just need to stop telling myself that it sucks and instead tell myself that it will get better with practice and editing
Starting Something New:
Very vague, but I have loads of books that I’ve started over the years and have only like five pages written and – well – I’ve been thinking of making them into something. Here are the ideas (and snippets, oh lord, these are awful):
- New Book. This is literally what the file is called on my computer *sigh* Basically the protagonist is an orphan and a mute – meaning she doesn’t have a tongue thus she can’t speak. This is a fantasy sort of but I don’t know if there’s going to be magical elements or not. She gets caught by these dudes that plan to sell her to the kingdom as one of the Prince’s slaves. That’s as far as I got. I don’t know how I’ll be able to write an entire book where the main character can’t even speak, but I got a few pages down so I guess it’s not impossible?
- Fantasy Book. I wrote 83 pages in this book and completely forgot it existed! I gave up writing it because a) I had no idea where my story was going b) i had no idea what my magic system even was there was glowing fish and that’s basically it c) my characters were so bland and all sounded like kids and d) my writing is SO CRINGE. But I’m going to show it to you in 3, 2, 1!
this is literally the least-cringey section i could find in the entire book, probably due to the lack of dialogue
- Summer Book. This is the cringiest of them all. I seriously considered stopping here and lying to y’all about that being it and just leaving it out of this post completely but I promised you guys that I would show you the cringe. This book is contemporary but also kinda fantasy-ish. The main character has a power to look into people’s dreams, I guess (I had weird things happen to him without any idea of what his power was so I have no clue what his powers are). Anyway, he does something bad in school and is sent to jail but then he gets saved by some FBI dude who crashes his car while they’re in it and then he escapes to a forest on the run from bad guys and meets a girl that lives in the forest and yeah. I don’t know, I was like 12 when I wrote this! So. Whelp. Here we go. I’m so scared right now, I’m wiggling around in my chair right now like a fish out of water.
quick side note: throughout the 25 pages i wrote of this, the pov constantly changes from first person to third person and it’s taking all of my willpower right now to not go back and fix it
I am so relieved to say that those were all of the old cringey books!! I will make it up to you with snippets from We’re All Beautiful and These Memories Shall Burn!
Snippets From Current WIPs:
We’re All Beautiful
Some of y’all might’ve seen this one already because I posted it on Twitter but you blog readers haven’t! Basically, I included the drunk piggy back ride thing that’s common in K-Dramas and I’m proud of myself for it haha.
I’ve been getting a lot better with dialogue which is why I wanted to share this snippet. Usually it sounds really, really bad but this scene’s dialogue has a nice flow to it.
These Memories Shall Burn
I made Naira and her relationship with her mom very complicated. They’re not always at each other’s throats but at the same time they’re always cautious of each other. I find their interactions the most interesting to write and is what I’ve been writing a lot of lately.
See how this relationship could be complicated? I didn’t intend it this way, but it kind of just happened.
I love these books so much. I can’t wait to finish writing them because I have a really good feeling that there will be people out there that’ll like – maybe even love – them as well.
I just poured out my heart and soul here, sharing my best of the best and best of the worst writing I have at my current disposal. Give me feedback or I’ll just sit here awkwardly, withering in my own embarrassment.