Oh look how original I am \o.o/ Writing a favorite reads of 2017 post. Y’know originally I wasn’t going to do this because there are just so many of these posts out there but then I thought about adding some predictions for books that I’m planning on reading in 2018.
With all of the books I’m anticipating in 2018, and the books I didn’t get the chance to read in 2017 but want to finally get to this year, I think that I’m going to have a buttload of new favorites.
This will be a top 10 list because no i’m not too lazy to come up with 17 favorite books
Top Ten Favorites of 2017:
**these aren’t in any particular order since i’m the most indecisive person… except for maybe #1
**fair warning, some of these reviews that i’ll be linking are from very early last year so if you end up reading them, expect cringe
10) The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas // This is one of the rare moments when the book is worth the hype. I can’t wait for the movie!
9) I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson // SO LYRICAL AND WEIRD BUT PERFECT.
8) History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera // This book will leave you curled up in a corner bawling your eyes out.
7) Foolish Hearts by Emma Mills // This was so adorable! Highly recommend if you’re looking for a cute, fluffy contemporary with lovable characters.
6) When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon // I love Dimple and Rishi so much. Hope to see them again in When Ashish Met Sweetie.
5) Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater // I absolutely fell in love with this series in 2017. I read books 2-4 all in a row at the beginning of the year and my favorite was by far the third one.
4) Words In Deep Blue by Cath Crowley // MADE ME WANT TO CRY AND DIE i highly recommend
3) A Taxonomy of Love by Rachel Allen // The last book I read in 2017 ended up being a favorite of the year! If you want a cute contemporary that’s about friendship with a little bit of romance and grief mixed in, read this book! (Comes out tomorrow!!)
2) Truthwitch by Susan Dennard // This is the only fantasy book on this list (blue lily, lily blue doesn’t count since it takes place in the real world) I was very surprised by how much I ended up loving it.
1) Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman // THIS BOOK BROUGHT ME OUT OF MY READING SLUMP AND IT’S SO BEAUTIFUL (ESPECIALLY THE HARDCOVER OHMYGOD) SO YOU BETTER READ IT…please?
Top 3 Biggest Disappointments of 2017:
ha! wasn’t expecting that were you?? 😀
**these aren’t by any means my least-favorite books of 2017 – just the biggest disappointments
3) Caraval by Stephanie Garber // I in no way hated this book, but I just had a lot of issues with it and it was way too over-hyped. My review for this is one of my favorites I’ve ever written, so that’s good.
2) Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff // It made me so sad when I read this book and didn’t love it. I wanted to love it so much, but I guess it just wasn’t for me. I will be reading the sequel though.
1) Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor // I’ll also be reading the sequel since the character I didn’t care for is now out of the way (though i have a feeling she’s not…). It’s all explained in my review.
Top 10 Predicted Favorites for 2018:
these won’t just be 2018 releases, but books i plan on reading in 2018
ah, don’t you just love the diversity?
9) Rebel Seoul by Axie Oh // I still can’t get over the fact that this book even exists. It’s the second YA book released in 2017 for fans of k-dramas. That’s huge.
8) A Girl Like That by Tanaz Bhathena // I’ve had this book in my clutches for a couple months now and it’s taken all of my willpower not to read it. I’m making myself suffer because I have other books that I need to read first #bloggerlife
7) From Twinkle, With Love by Sandhya Menon // Firstly, y’all need to stop throwing crap at Menon for deciding to name her WOC protagonists after Bollywood stars. Seriously. Just stop. Secondly, can you hear me squealing?? I’ve needed this book ever since I heard the title because unlike some of you (not necessarily y’all that are reading this, but just people in general) I like the name and think it’s adorable.
6) Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann // A biromantic asexual woc main character. That’s really all you need to know 🙂 Let’s just hope the rep is good because the first review I saw from a Goodreads friend that’s ace said the rep wasn’t the best so… we’ll see.
5) The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee // I’ve heard so many good things about this book!!! But then the first review I saw on Goodreads just now was 2 stars… why May, why?? I mean, I read the review so I know why, but why do the low ratings always come first? ANYWAY, I’m still anticipating it. I own it and it sounds amazing so like I just said, we’ll see.
4) Warcross by Marie Lu // Most of the reviews I’ve seen for this (gosh now I’m just mentioning reviews… I’m sorry it’s a habit, I read reviews and take them into a lot of consideration when I choose my books) have either been raving about the book or stuck in the middle. I’m scared I’ll be rating this one 3 stars or something in that range but also, it has so much potential to become a favorite. Y’all know I’m an optimist so I’m leaning more towards the latter.
3) The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan // I also need this book like I need air. It sounds like it’s going to be one of those contemporaries that I won’t be able to stop thinking about for a while. *note how i stopped myself from scrolling down to read reviews this time*
2) The Dangerous Art of Blending In by Angelo Surmelis // Ever since I found out about this book I’ve been thinking of it as another Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, one of my all-time favorite books. Now I really hope it’ll take it’s place because the author of Ari and Dante is apparently one of those authors that email reviewers and harass them about the negative things they say about their books. Yeah. Not reading another one of his books (which is unfortunate because he writes very very good).
1) Any Victoria Schwab // 2018 WILL BE THE YEAR I FINALLY READ SOME – IF NOT ALL – OF HER BOOKS AND I KNOW I WILL LOVE THEM. They’re just always so expensive… I don’t know why??? But I won’t let that stop me! I’ll Amazon them or coupon them. I’ll figure it out.
Do we share any of the same favorite books of 2017? Do we share any of the same disappointments? What books do you think you’ll end up loving in 2018? Let me know!